Questions About Donations and Supporting David’s House
1. What is Keeping David’s Promise?
Keeping David’s Promise was a two year, comprehensive capital campaign that is all about fulfilling David’s wish to take all of the kids in the pediatric departments and their families home with him to his safe, comfortable house. This campaign is the largest of its kind in our history; it started in July of 2011 and ran until the end of June 2013. Our goal was to raise $4,000,000 in order to cover the two years of operational support, to build our endowment to ensure long-term financial stability and to build an addition that will add, among other spaces, four new guest bedrooms.
2. Where does the money come from to run David’s House?
David’s House relies on community support to fund our operations. We are independent of the hospital and do not receive any state or federal funding. Guest donations cover about 5% of our approximately $800,000 annual budget. The remaining funds come from individual gifts, fundraising events, grants, civic and community groups, and corporate support.
3. How can I help support David’s House?
From hosting or attending an event; to purchasing items from our grocery list; to volunteering; sharing our information with others, and introducing us to new potential supporters… there are many ways!
4. Is my donation tax-deductible?
Because David’s House is a registered IRS 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization, true charitable contributions, for which there is no exchange of goods or services, are tax-deductible to the extent provided by law. We encourage you to consult your tax professional if you have any questions regarding charitable giving.
5. My company has a matching gift program. If I make a donation to David’s House, can you also accept a donation from my employer?
Yes. Most companies have paperwork that should accompany your gift when you send it to us – ask the appropriate party at your workplace for details. We will complete the paperwork and return it to your employer for processing.
6. Can I give a donation to David’s House through the United Way or Federal Campaign?
David’s House only receives funding from the United Way and Federated Campaign programs through payroll deductions, not through grants. Ask your payroll department to get started and contact us if you need our IRS Tax ID number to designate David’s House as your charity. Our Federal Campaign number is 63715.
7. I would like to include your organization in my will or name David’s House as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy. What do I have to do?
Please consult your lawyer or estate professional to learn about the many different options regarding leaving David’s House a legacy gift. Please contact Don Dutton for more information or to discuss your plans.
8. I would like to make a gift in honor or memory of someone. Will you notify them, or the family, of this gift?
Of course. Upon request, David’s House will provide an additional acknowledgment to whomever a donor wishes us to notify, but we do not include the gift amount in the correspondence. To make such a donation, click here.
9. I want to make a donation using my credit card. How can I be sure no one else sees my information?
Credit card donations can be made online, here, through our website using a secure processing system. You can also call David’s House and give a staff member your card number, which will be entered directly into a credit card machine for immediate processing. Donation envelopes are also available for you to complete and send back to us – you can call or write to have one mailed to you. Once your credit card is processed, the section of the envelope that includes the credit card number is shredded.
10. How can I do a fundraiser for David’s House?
11. I have some new or gently used items I would like to donate. Do you accept items such as clothing, stuffed animals, and toys?
As a general rule, David;s House cannot accept used items for health and safety reasons. Please contact our facilities manager, Cathy Labonte, if you are interested in making an in-kind donation.
12. My children ran a lemonade stand this summer and want to donate the money to David’s House but it is a very small amount. Is this still helpful?
David’s House is grateful for EVERY gift we receive, regardless of its size. Every cent counts toward our goal of providing a home-away-from-home for families.